On Fri, 02 May 2014 12:59:07 +0200, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

I've installed PostgreSQL 9.3.4 on Windows and set the password "admin"
for the "postgres" user and updated the parameters for the PostgresDB
constructor. However, I'm always getting a "FATAL 28P01:" error stating
that the password based authentication has failed. Is there anything I'm
missing?

I also had difficulties with postgresql authentication. As a temporary workaround, I ended up choosing the following authentication method:

(file /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/pg_hba.conf)
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust

Which means:

When trust authentication is specified, PostgreSQL assumes that anyone who can connect to the server is authorized to access the database with whatever database user name they specify (even superuser names). Of course, restrictions made in the database and user columns still apply. This method should only be used when there is adequate operating-system-level protection on connections to the server.

trust authentication is appropriate and very convenient for local connections on a single-user workstation. It is usually not appropriate by itself on a multiuser machine. However, you might be able to use trust even on a multiuser machine, if you restrict access to the server's Unix-domain socket file using file-system permissions.

I had assumed it was just my ignorance of Postgresql that was causing my authentication issues, but now I'm starting to reconsider that position :-) (If you manage to make Postgresql + ddb work with the md5-based password authentication please say so).