RejectedSoftware Forums

usage of sqlite

Hi,
I want to use sqlite with vibe.d but I'm aware of it blocking the fiber with its IO ops.
What is the recomended way to use it then? I've read that DB drivers need to be written in the async way using vibe.d's TcpConnection and FileStream, but what to do with sqlite's C API where this is handled internally?

Make some working threads out of main fiber thread and use them to access the DB? What is then the preffered way to exchange the data with less possible overhead?

Thx,
Tom

Re: usage of sqlite

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:43:25 GMT, tchaloupka wrote:

Hi,
I want to use sqlite with vibe.d but I'm aware of it blocking the fiber with its IO ops.
What is the recomended way to use it then? I've read that DB drivers need to be written in the async way using vibe.d's TcpConnection and FileStream, but what to do with sqlite's C API where this is handled internally?

Make some working threads out of main fiber thread and use them to access the DB? What is then the preffered way to exchange the data with less possible overhead?

Thx,
Tom

I'm not experienced enough to give great advice, but here are my thoughts. I think you're mistaken in assuming that sqlite can handle anything related to vibes async functions internally. (I feel as thought I might have misunderstood you here.)

Here are links I have come across that might help you:
sqlite in dlang (not for vibe.d, it seems)
https://github.com/anton-dutov/db

vibe's mongo driver:
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d/blob/master/source/vibe/db/mongo/client.d

This article and example seems like it might answer many of your questions:
http://vibed.org/blog/posts/writing-native-db-drivers

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 00:45:56 GMT, Taylor Gronka wrote:

I'm not experienced enough to give great advice, but here are my thoughts. I think you're mistaken in assuming that sqlite can handle anything related to vibes async functions internally. (I feel as thought I might have misunderstood you here.)

No I know that sqlite will not work with vibes async as is. That is the reason for my questioning.

Here are links I have come across that might help you:
sqlite in dlang (not for vibe.d, it seems)
https://github.com/anton-dutov/db

Currently I'm using this: https://github.com/biozic/d2sqlite3 which I like better.
Also not for vibe.d of course.

Yeah, I already read that. But I don't think that can be applied to sqlite.
Or can it? How? I can't imagine other way than to modify somehow sqlite C code itself, which seems wrong to me.

So if sqlite has to stay as it is, is there some preffered pattern to use it effectively?

I thought of something like this:

FIBER THREAD                                  SQLITE WORKING THREAD

received request          ------>             load
                                              some
do other things                               data

write response            <------             send loaded data

There can even be a pool of workers to handle requests.

But I'm pretty new to D and vibe (mainly C#) so I'm not sure if this is possible to make this more effective than just use sqlite directly to handle requests even with its blocking.

What I'm after is just simple self hosted RESTful service with sqlite backend (required).
Currently I'm using it in a blocking manner with HTTPServerOption.distribute and when simply benchmarked, it is even then faster than node.js or C# implementation.

But I would like some advice if it can be done in a better way.

Thx,
Tom

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 06:45:27 GMT, tchaloupka wrote:

Or can it? How? I can't imagine other way than to modify somehow sqlite C code itself, which seems wrong to me.

Yeah, that would require first porting sqlite to D. That post was more targeted at library already written in D.

So if sqlite has to stay as it is, is there some preffered pattern to use it effectively?

I thought of something like this:

FIBER THREAD                                  SQLITE WORKING THREAD

received request          ------>             load
                                              some
do other things                               data

write response            <------             send loaded data

There can even be a pool of workers to handle requests.

But I'm pretty new to D and vibe (mainly C#) so I'm not sure if this is possible to make this more effective than just use sqlite directly to handle requests even with its blocking.

What I'm after is just simple self hosted RESTful service with sqlite backend (required).
Currently I'm using it in a blocking manner with HTTPServerOption.distribute and when simply benchmarked, it is even then faster than node.js or C# implementation.

But I would like some advice if it can be done in a better way.

Thx,
Tom

If you are working with an SSD instead of a spinning disk and want to use HTTPServerOption.distribute anyway, using sqlite in-place shouldn't disturb the event processing too much. If you have multiple sqlite invocations in sequence, you could explicitly call yield() in-between to reduce the latency of other tasks/requests, but since the operations are usually relatively short, they shouldn't be a big issue.

That approach will also yield the highest overall request throughput. Basically what a worker approach could improve is reducing the average maximum latency to process a request. But the communication and synchronization overhead would definitely somewhat reduce the throughput.

For the latter approach, I'd fire up a single custom core.thread.Thread that uses runTask to start a task that listens for sqlite requests made via vibe.core.concurrency. Basic sketch of the idea:

__gshared g_sqliteTask;

struct SqliteRequest {
    string query;
    Task requester;
}

void sqliteWorker()
{
    g_sqliteTask = runTask({
        while (true) {
            auto req = receiveOnly!SqliteRequest;
            // perform query
            auto results = ...;
            // note: results must be immutable or shared
            req.requester.send(results);
        }
    });
    runEventLoop();
}

void handleRequest(HTTPServerRequest req, HTTPServerResponse res)
{
    string query = ...;
    q_sqliteTask.send(SqliteRequest(query, Task.getThis()));
    auto results = receiveOnly!SqliteResults;
    res.writeBody("Results: ", results.to!string());
}

shared static this()
{
    import core.thread;
    new Thread(&sqliteWorker).run();

// setup HTTP server etc.:
    // ....
}

I'd not use multiple worker threads, because it would introduce the need to synchronize between them. Usually a single thread should also be sufficient to put the disk to full load. At least for a spinning disk, multiple threads would just cause the head to make more movements and thus would reduce the overall performance. But this depends on the actual usage patterns. There are probably scenarios where the CPU load gets high enough that multiple workers actually improve performance.

Hi,

Thx,
Tom

If you have a small database, there's a good chance that all your data will end up in page file cache from the kernel.

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:55:41 GMT, Etienne Cimon wrote:

Hi,

Thx,
Tom

If you have a small database, there's a good chance that all your data will end up in page file cache from the kernel.

Note that while read operations might not block due to page cache, frequent write operations could justify a thread pool

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 06:45:27 GMT, tchaloupka wrote:

Sonke:
Yeah, that would require first porting sqlite to D. That post was more targeted at library already written in D.

Ah - I didn't realize it was importing C; I naively assumed it was a D port.