RejectedSoftware Forums

UDP not recv'ing from inside task

My UDPConnection can recv fine in main, but put inside of a task and it cannot. This behavior is replicated for me in the udp example. All I get is "Sending packet..." and no receiving messages.

Re: UDP not recv'ing from inside task

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 17:03:59 GMT, Kelet wrote:

My UDPConnection can recv fine in main, but put inside of a task and it cannot. This behavior is replicated for me in the udp example. All I get is "Sending packet..." and no receiving messages.

To clarify, changing the udp example to:

import vibe.appmain;
import vibe.core.core;
import vibe.core.log;
import vibe.core.net;

import core.time;

shared static this()
{
	runTask({
		auto udp_sender = listenUDP(0);
		udp_sender.connect("127.0.0.1", 1234);
		while (true) {
			sleep(dur!"msecs"(500));
			logInfo("Sending packet...");
			udp_sender.send(cast(ubyte[])"Hello, World!");
		}
	});

auto udp_listener = listenUDP(1234);
	while (true) {
		auto pack = udp_listener.recv();
		logInfo("Got packet: %s", cast(string)pack);
	}
}

works, whereas the default never receives.

I'm thinking this might be related to when I try to run exitEventLoop() at the end which yields

core.exception.AssertError@vibe.core.core(119): Assertion failure

Line 119 is

assert(s_eventLoopRunning || shutdown_all_threads);

Which means that the event loop isn't running I think. However, with VibeDefaultMain as in the example, it should be - right? I'm using vibe.d 0.7.19-beta.2 although I've tried many others. Using DMD v2.064.

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 19:39:47 GMT, Kelet wrote:

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 17:03:59 GMT, Kelet wrote:

To clarify, changing the udp example to:

import vibe.appmain;
import vibe.core.core;
import vibe.core.log;
import vibe.core.net;

import core.time;

shared static this()
{
	runTask({
		auto udp_sender = listenUDP(0);
		udp_sender.connect("127.0.0.1", 1234);
		while (true) {
			sleep(dur!"msecs"(500));
			logInfo("Sending packet...");
			udp_sender.send(cast(ubyte[])"Hello, World!");
		}
	});

auto udp_listener = listenUDP(1234);
	while (true) {
		auto pack = udp_listener.recv();
		logInfo("Got packet: %s", cast(string)pack);
	}
}

works, whereas the default never receives.

This was a bug in the libevent driver. I'm still unsure why the example worked at all when I first implemented it, but at least it's fixed now in d49cfd3.

I'm thinking this might be related to when I try to run exitEventLoop() at the end which yields

core.exception.AssertError@vibe.core.core(119): Assertion failure

Line 119 is

assert(s_eventLoopRunning || shutdown_all_threads);

Which means that the event loop isn't running I think. However, with VibeDefaultMain as in the example, it should be - right? I'm using vibe.d 0.7.19-beta.2 although I've tried many others. Using DMD v2.064.

The event loop isn't started until after static this() has returned, so calling exitEventLoop there tries to terminate a loop that hasn't been started yet. A way to achieve this (other than using VibeCustomMain, of course) is to do runTask({ exitEventLoop(); });. I've made another fix in 58054cc that makes this approach reliable.

I was pulling my hair out on this last week too but didn't manage to nail it down to what was going wrong. Thanks for reporting/fixing it :)