On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 11:41:35 GMT, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

I don't really know more details, but local caching would compromise (at least any hard) data consistency when multiple database clients are involved, so that would probably not work in many setups. But if you take into consideration that there are actually real sites running on Ruby, that little network overhead is absolutely negligible as long as the database is fast ;)

I had impression that recent web trend is that data consistency is not primary goal unless it is some kind of bank stuff or similar finance-related service. Performance and high availability are in general considered more important. Well, at least that what you see reading reddit ;)

Funnily, I was writing almost the same thing before finally reading your second paragraph and then dumping it ;)

The SessionStoreCache could then also offer different consistency models to optimize for speed when the data model allows it. Sounds like a good way to go no matter what the outcome of the distribution strategy investigation will be.

Well, unless someone else will appear and say this idea sucks, I think that can be approved as a nice way to go, despite being slightly more complicated than straightforward sharing.