On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 14:15:34 GMT, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

I see. However, at least with current hardware, compared with all the other things that happen during a request this will still be a small fraction of the total CPU time (as it is highly unlikely to ever have actual contention for the MemorySessionStore lock, it should be well below 1000 CPU cycles for a single lock/unlock).

Your are 100% right if you are speaking about raw throughput on low-to-normal concurrency targets. But I am speaking about c10k and up from there, not interested in anything more simple :P Time for single locking operation grows linearly with locking operation count, in other words, with simultaneous request count (as each request implies at least one locking operation here). I truly believe that vibe.d is closest of all competitors for reaching this target on carefully crafted non-synthetic applications, don't want to spoil the opportunity.

But apart from this I also suppose that in many large-scale scenarios sessions will be stored in an external database (such as Redis), which is then possibly distributed among multiple servers. Compared to the I/O overhead there, a simple atomic CAS will always be negligible.

Does it really work without some form of local caching? I have no web dev experience, unfortunately, but sounds like communication with external database may soon become a weak spot then. Can you provide any more input on this?

Speaking with you has inspired me with one possible architectural proposal - what about splitting SessionStore in two parts - SessionStore and SessionStoreCache, latter being always thread-local one and former implementing some sort synchronisation facilities for a background task. SessionStore here be shared memory store or external database - it does not really matter. Does vibe.d event model provide convenient means to fire such low-priority sync event for every worker thread?