Hi Sönke:

I recently met ghost blog engine, and was intrigued by its simplicity. But I prefer much more on vibe.d/D than nodejs.

I found that your vibelog project is also having a similar simplicity, so I wanted to use it as my blog engine. I'm learning to use vibe.d and D, so picking up this little project is very nice.

But by checking out the project I found that some of the things are lacking for a personal blog engine as compared to ghost:

1. no style. I would be nice to have a default style.
  2. sparse documentation.
  3. no binary download.
  4. dependency on mongodb. I'd also like that posts could be saved into files (like jekyll & github blogs) or simple dbs like sqlite.
  5. syntax highlighting and other tools are not incorporated

I know the situation may due to you are focused on vibe.d/dub and other higher priorities, so I'd like to contribute to it.
I've add bootstrap and a theme similar to ghost the other day, you can view a demo on http://zhaopuming.cn

What is your vision of this project? Do you want it to become a useful blog tool for not only your vibe.d site, but also a general purpose blog engine?

Here is what come into my mind first:

1. bootstrap based themes. It should have a default theme, and people could contribute their themes. By doing that I'd like to change the class names and html styles into a more bootstrap flavored one.

2. A better editor. I love markdown, so it would be nice to have a markdown editor with live preview. similar to stackedit

3. make the database layer independent on databases. First I'd like to add plain .md file support.

4. Move more logic into the front end. (Yes, ajax and all those crazy javascript stuff)

What do you think? I'd like that it stays within the line of vibelog, so I don't want to do a fork that would go too far away.

If you pre-approve what should be done first, I'll start doing it.

I think it has the same potential as ghost/nodejs. Or even wordpress.