RejectedSoftware Forums

Installed vibe via DUB, can't start it

After installing DUB (dub-git on Arch Linux) and specifying vibe-d as a dependency of my project in package.json, I ran dub upgrade and vibe was installed. However, I can't start vibe by running it in the project root dir, as the bin file isn't found. It's installed local to my user with vibe in ~/.dub/packages/vibe-d-0.7.15/bin

This the recommended way to install vibe? How have others installed it so the vibe executable is available?

Re: Installed vibe via DUB, can't start it

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 03:19:43 GMT, Greg Knapp wrote:

After installing DUB (dub-git on Arch Linux) and specifying vibe-d as a dependency of my project in package.json, I ran dub upgrade and vibe was installed. However, I can't start vibe by running it in the project root dir, as the bin file isn't found. It's installed local to my user with vibe in ~/.dub/packages/vibe-d-0.7.15/bin

This the recommended way to install vibe? How have others installed it so the vibe executable is available?

Why do you need the vibe executable? In general it got replaced with dub, just run your project with:
dub --rdmd

and you should be fine. Apart from that, if you really want to run it you'll have to the path to your PATH variable your self or specify the full path on the command line.

Best regards,

Robert

Thanks

Why do you need the vibe executable? In general it got replaced with dub, just run your project with:
dub --rdmd

"After the installation, you can run any vibe.d application by typing 'vibe' from inside the application's root directory."

from http://vibed.org/docs

When running dub:

Building configuration application, build type debug
Running rdmd...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -levent
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -levent_pthreads
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1
Error: Build command failed with exit code 1

I haven't edited my app.d yet, it's a skeleton app right now.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:21:48 GMT, Greg Knapp wrote:

Thanks

dub --rdmd

"After the installation, you can run any vibe.d application by typing 'vibe' from inside the application's root directory."

from http://vibed.org/docs

I see :-) I never used the installer scripts myself. Sorry.

When running dub:

Running rdmd...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -levent
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -levent_pthreads
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1

I haven't edited my app.d yet, it's a skeleton app right now.

dub is not yet able to install third party libs on its own, you have to install libevent for yourself, at least on Linux. On windows, I believe, vibe provides the library itself.

Thanks, thought as much.

dub --rdmd
Checking dependencies in '/srv/http/blog'
Running rdmd...
Compiling diet template 'index.dt' (compat)...
Compiling diet template 'index.dt' (compat)...
/home/greg/.dub/packages/vibe-d-0.7.15/source/vibe/core/file.d(60): Warning: explicit element-wise assignment templ[16u..__dollar - 1u] = (suffix)[] is better than templ[16u..__dollar - 1u] = suffix

➜  views  cat index.dt
extends layout

block body
    h1 Greg's blog
    p Hello World!

➜  views  cat layout.dt
!!! 5
html
    head
        title Blog
    body
        block body

I'm following the first steps from the docs.

It looks like you are using dmd 2.063? The problem seems to be fixed in vibe ~master, either try this or dmd 2.062.

Best regards,
Robert