On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:12:02 GMT, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:51:56 GMT, Dicebot wrote:

No way. You just can't do it properly without lot of efforts (infrastructure efforts, not development) and introducing yet another broken package manager is not good idea.

It's not that hard, just put all the binaries in a directory and add it to PATH. What's the point in having a package manager that only clones a repository? What does it give me that git already doesn't?

Simply having random folder added to PATH is exactly kind of unhygienic hack I don't like to see. I know that this approach is a usual way to do things on Mac but on my Linux machine I don't want a single binary out of build dir that is not known to core OS package manager ;) It does not matter if it is development tool. I think dub approach with no actual installation but setting required environment instead is more hygienic (if I understand it right).

Also in my opinion simply cloning the repository is exactly what needs to be done in most cases. Language-specific package manager is just some syntax sugar on top which help to pull exactly the repository and tag you need.