RejectedSoftware Forums

Example of mutex use ?

As a beginner in D and Vibe programming I have a hard time finding code examples online.

I'm currently trying to find out how to use vibe's fiber friendly mutexes. Is the following code the correct way to use mutexes ? I suppose synchronizing on the object is nos OK because the mutex in the base object is not a fiber friendly mutex.

final class Store {
  auto mtx = new TaskMutex;
  int count = 0;
  // Return the incremented value of count in a string
  string getIncrementedCount()
  {
    synchronize(mtx) 
    {
      count += 1; 
      return to!string(count);
    }
  }
}

void get(HTTPServerRequest req, HTTPServerResponse res)
{
  string str = g_store.getIncrementedCount();
  render!"index.dt"(res, str);
}

shared Store g_store;

shared static this()
{
  g_store = new Store;
  auto router = new URLRouter;
  router.get("/", &get);
  auto settings = new HTTPServerSettings;
  settings.port = 8080;
  settings.bindAddresses = ["::1", "127.0.0.1"];
  listenHTTP(settings, router);
  logInfo("Open http://127.0.0.1:8080/ in your browser");
}

Re: Example of mutex use ?

Am 23.04.2016 um 20:39 schrieb chmike:

As a beginner in D and Vibe programming I have a hard time finding code examples online.

I'm currently trying to find out how to use vibe's fiber friendly mutexes. Is the following code the correct way to use mutexes ? I suppose synchronizing on the object is nos OK because the mutex in the base object is not a fiber friendly mutex.

final class Store {
   auto mtx = new TaskMutex;
   int count = 0;
   // Return the incremented value of count in a string
   string getIncrementedCount()
   {
     synchronize(mtx)
     {
       count += 1;
       return to!string(count);
     }
   }
}

Looks good, although in this specific case you wouldn't really need to
use a TaskMutex (it has some performance overhead). That is only
required if any blocking operations (I/O, receiving messages, sleeping,
yield'ing) take place while the mutex is locked. So if that's not the
case, using the object's own monitor is fine, too.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:48:51 +0200, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

Looks good, although in this specific case you wouldn't really need to
use a TaskMutex (it has some performance overhead). That is only
required if any blocking operations (I/O, receiving messages, sleeping,
yield'ing) take place while the mutex is locked. So if that's not the
case, using the object's own monitor is fine, too.

Is the overhead important ? Is reading/writing data from/to disk considered a blocking I/O operation ?

I have to protect modifying and rendering data stored in a cache which may occasionally require access to a local disk. Should this be protected by an interruptible mutex or is a std D mutex OK?

Unfortunately the code is not correct because the global variable is declared as shared. And this implies that the class must be synchronized.

As a consequence this is not compatible with vibe.d fibers since we should use vibe.d friendly fibers. The variable increment was a dummy operation for example. In practice it could be an operation doing blocking calls.

On Sun, 01 May 2016 10:39:20 GMT, chmike wrote:

Unfortunately the code is not correct because the global variable is declared as shared. And this implies that the class must be synchronized.

As a consequence this is not compatible with vibe.d fibers since we should use vibe.d friendly fibers. The variable increment was a dummy operation for example. In practice it could be an operation doing blocking calls.

What you can do is to use setSameMutex to change the object monitor to a TaskMutex. You can then either use a synchronized class, or use the lock idiom (basically casts away shared in a safe way). setSameMutex is in object.d and I think the argument order must be setSameMutex(object, task_mutex); but I'm not sure.