On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 12:11:09 GMT, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

There has been some discussion about using a different format than JSON for the package description files. While this topic is techinically not particularily pressing, it would be good to know where to go with this early. The two candidates so far are YAML and SDL. JSON will still be supported for backwards compatibility and as the default format that is transferred over the network (package registry). The following sections list the pros/cons of each format and an example of how it could look like. My favorite so far is SDL, which was originally proposed by Nick Sabalausky, who also made a D implementation. So now I think it would be good to get some more input to get a collective opinion on this before implementing anything.

JSON

While I think the current JSON based format for the package description is OK, it does have a few drawbacks:

• No support for comments
  • Key names must be quoted, although they are just plain identifiers
  • Commas between individual fields -> danger of syntax errors for the last field
  • The very generic structure makes it easy to learn, but sometimes a bit verbose
  • Relatively deep nesting

Example:

{
	"name": "my-package",
	"description": "A package for demonstration purposes",
	"dependencies": {
		"vibe-d": ">=0.7.13",
		"sub-package": {"version": "~master", "path": "./sub-package"}
	},
	"configurations": [
		{
			"name": "console",
			"targetType": "executable",
			"versions": ["ConsoleApp"]
		},
		{
			"name": "gui",
			"targetType": "executable",
			"versions": ["ConsoleApp"],
			"libs-windows": ["gdi32", "user32"]
		}
	]
}

YAML

YAML basically has the same structure as JSON, but allows an alternative syntax using indentation instead of clamps to group items together. It also removes the quotes around strings. Furthermore, tt allows a multitude of ways to format the file (including JSON, which is a subset of YAML), which can be handy, but can also make it harder to learn or read, depending on how it is actually written. It follows the same structure as JSON, but supports comments.

Example:

---
name: my-package
description: A package for demonstration purposes
dependencies:
	vibe-d: ">=0.7.13"
	sub-package:
		version: ~master
		path: ./sub-package

configurations:
	# command line version
	- name: console
	  targetType: executable
	  versions:
	    - ConsoleApp

# Win32 based GUI version
	- name: gui
	  targetType: executable
	  versions:
	    - UseWinMain
	  libs-windows:
	    - gdi32
	    - user32		

SDL

Finally, SDL has a tag+attribute based structure that differs from the other two and allows to vary how certain data fields are specified. It uses curly braces as the means to create a tag hierarchy and otherwise goes without punctuation (except for quotation marks) and thus results in clean files. Syntax-wise it comes closest to D when comparing the three contenders. Finally, the tag based nature facilitates a design with less nesting and less syntactic ambiguity (e.g. fields that may only occur once can be attributes).

Example:

name "my-package"
description "A package for demonstration purposes"

dependency "vibe-d" version=">=0.7.13"
dependency "sub-package" version="~master" path="./sub-package"

# command line version
configuration "console" {
	targetType "executable"
	versions "ConsoleApp"
	libs-windows "gdi32" "user32"
}

# Win32 based GUI version
configuration "gui" {
	targetType "executable"
	versions "UseWinMain"
	libs-windows "gdi32" "user32"
}

As much as I dislike XML, I think it is not a good idea to ignore it. XML should definitely be among the supported formats. Also, it would be nice to have a converter between them in the case package owners decide to switch to an alternative.