On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 20:59:10 GMT, Dicebot wrote:

Instead of installing libraries globally, simply provide required -I and -L switches to dmd upon build based on dependency list.

1. For that to work they need to be "installed". That is, compiled and put in some directory, somewhere. That's what I've been talking about all along. I have never said they need t be put in some standard search path, i.e. /usr/lib. Although it is convenient to put applications in PATH, some way or another.

2. That doesn't work for applications

I remember it but it is not a D problem to solve. Or any other language. It is a common desire among the developers to consider their language a first class citizen and OS a second class one but in practice it is always other way around.

A problem with some OS package managers is that they are so religious so they won't even add a package if it's not following the appropriate licensing. Some package managers won't add DMD due to this.

Actually, I have heard of quite mature generic package manager implementations for both Mac and Win, those just don't get any traction / recognition.

As long it's not installed by default it cannot be relied on.

/Jacob Carlborg