On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:09:14 GMT, Robert wrote:

1. Isn't the "deps" prefix for each line redundant? (i.e. wouldn't "import", "file", etc. suffice?)

Not really, because the output goes through stdout, depending on other switches (e.g. -v) there might be other output, with the "deps" prefix it is easy to filter the relevant information.

I see.

(but this is of course still useful for change tracking as soon as partial compilation works correctly - I've seen you and Dicebot have been quite busy to fix that...)

Glad you noticed ;-), I just wanted to get the dependency output right for templates and patched the compiler so the needed information is available. Dicebot pointed out that with this information the linking errors due to incremental/all-at-once could also be fixed. The roadmap is to get the -deps switch in, then fix it together with the -deps=filename switch, then fix the linking errors, if Dicebot hasn't done it already. In the meantime, (the next 2 years or so :-( ), I'll hack on dub.

Sometimes wonders happen... who knows, maybe priorities change at some point and things faster than expected (got to stay optimistic ;)

Hm... I just noticed that Andrej Mitrovic has already made a pull request for built-in recursive builds: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1861

Yep, but the -deps output is still needed for avoiding needless builds.

Agreed, the combination will finally provide a really nice day-to-day build experience.

P.S.: Sorry about no patches yet for library building, my girlfriend and I decided spontaneously to go on vacation for a few days, so I haven't done anything yet. I also have an exam to learn for, so it might take a while, but I am on it.

No problem at all, sorry also for the delayed answer. I didn't find your message for a while until I suddenly stumbled over it today. Also, at least the spontaneous vacation sounds like a very worthwhile alternative activity ;)