RejectedSoftware Forums

Change status code for REST api methods

Hi,

I am currently using the REST api with vibe.d

I want to chage the status code of specific routes depending on what happens but I can't seem to find a way to do this directly with the REST interface, is there a keyword corresponding to it like @path?

Thanks

Re: Change status code for REST api methods

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:47:42 GMT, Julien Ganichot wrote:

Hi,

I want to chage the status code of specific routes depending on what happens but I can't seem to find a way to do this directly with the REST interface, is there a keyword corresponding to it like @path?

Thanks

There are currently two ways to achieve this:

• throw a HTTPStatusException with the appropriate status code
  • use @after to get direct access to the response object

The second option should work similar to this:

interface MyService {
	static void setReturnCode(HTTPServerRequest req, HTTPServerResponse res)
	{
		res.statusCode = 201;
	}

@after!setReturnCode
	void getSomeResource();
}

Both solutions may not be very nice in certain situations, so I think there should be another way to achieve the same result, but simpler. Maybe by encoding it in the return value, using an out parameter, or by adding higher level attributes (@createsResource, @processesAsynchronously, @resourceType!(RT.create)) or a low level attribute (@httpStatusCode). Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on this?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:49:57 GMT, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

interface MyService {
	{
		res.statusCode = 201;
	}

@after!setReturnCode
	void getSomeResource();
}

Both solutions may not be very nice in certain situations, so I think there should be another way to achieve the same result, but simpler. Maybe by encoding it in the return value, using an out parameter, or by adding higher level attributes (@createsResource, @processesAsynchronously, @resourceType!(RT.create)) or a low level attribute (@httpStatusCode). Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on this?

Thank you for your answer!

I'm pretty new to D so I don't think my opinion worth a lot, but a low level attribute or an out parameter would be a great solution. As I understand there's no way to manage this easily which probably means that nothing would interact with it in a bad way. It depends on what features you have in mind about the status code for the future but these two solutions seems to be clearer and make source code easy to understand.

Hi,

Thanks

interface MyService {
	{
		res.statusCode = 201;
	}

@after!setReturnCode
	void getSomeResource();
}

Once again, @after is on the interface to do server-side work. Unless it's handled on the class level, I'd say, don't use it.

As per the return code, this is a problem that has been discussed previously. IIRC, Dicebot take on this subject is that exception-based handling is awfully slow (and wrong, in case you return a 2XX response).

It's a problem I've been exploring, and I don't believe an additional parameter would be the solution, for the exact same reason : it's on the interface while the return code is server specific.

In addition, the return code might depend on the function. The current solution I'm exploring is to allow a special behavior based on the return type, something along those lines:

interface MyApi {
  RestResponse!string getMessage();
}
class MyApiImpl : MyApi{
  override RestResponse!string getMessage() {
    // Works, as RestResponse will be a struct.
    // Return code is 200.
    return "Test";
    // Return code is 204.
    return null; // Or "", as null == ""
    // Full control over the return.
    return RestResponse!string("Wait for it...", 202);
  }
}

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:13:58 GMT, Geod24 wrote:

interface MyService {
	{
		res.statusCode = 201;
	}

@after!setReturnCode
	void getSomeResource();
}

Once again, @after is on the interface to do server-side work. Unless it's handled on the class level, I'd say, don't use it.

You are right about the server-side of course, I forgot about that.

As per the return code, this is a problem that has been discussed previously. IIRC, Dicebot take on this subject is that exception-based handling is awfully slow (and wrong, in case you return a 2XX response).

Well, I strongly disagree with the general rejection of exceptions, because IMO bad performance of throwing an exception is a bug, rather than a systematic issue. I also thought that most of it has already been fixed (apart from requiring a GC allocation per exception).

However, of course it's correct that exceptions are the wrong tool for success codes.

It's a problem I've been exploring, and I don't believe an additional parameter would be the solution, for the exact same reason : it's on the interface while the return code is server specific.

However, there is no conceptual difference between using the return value or an out parameter w.r.t. the client side.

In addition, the return code might depend on the function. The current solution I'm exploring is to allow a special behavior based on the return type, something along those lines:

interface MyApi {
   RestResponse!string getMessage();
}
class MyApiImpl : MyApi{
   override RestResponse!string getMessage() {
     // Works, as RestResponse will be a struct.
     // Return code is 200.
     return "Test";
     // Return code is 204.
     return null; // Or "", as null == ""
     // Full control over the return.
     return RestResponse!string("Wait for it...", 202);
   }
}

I think using semantic attributes (à la @createsResource) is the most generally useful and clean way. A return value based approach still has the issue that it leaks very HTTP specific information to the interface. At least for most cases I'd like to avoid that, but it should be a good additional tool to have for those rare situations where you need more control.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:56:57 GMT, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

Well, I strongly disagree with the general rejection of exceptions, because IMO bad performance of throwing an exception is a bug, rather than a systematic issue. I also thought that most of it has already been fixed (apart from requiring a GC allocation per exception).

However, of course it's correct that exceptions are the wrong tool for success codes.

The problem with exception is the same as the one with GC: it's a good tool that suffers from bad performance.

However, there is no conceptual difference between using the return value or an out parameter w.r.t. the client side.

[...]

I think using semantic attributes (à la @createsResource) is the most generally useful and clean way. A return value based approach still has the issue that it leaks very HTTP specific information to the interface. At least for most cases I'd like to avoid that, but it should be a good additional tool to have for those rare situations where you need more control.

Do you have a code example of how this could work ? Some methods could return unspecified amount of codes, i.e. ranging from 200 to 204, which could depends on runtime parameter.

I however agree that an HTTP agnostic way would be better.