On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 11:14:20 GMT, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

JSON only supports the basic types bool, long, double, string, arrays and dictionaries, so there is no way to represent a date directly with it. To use the full range of BSON types, there are two main ways to go:

I knew about JSON but being new to MongoDB for some reason I tough it would add new types over the JSON basic ones, like a Data type (MongoDB is my first NoSQL experience).

• The fast and memory efficient way is to define a struct that matches the data and insert that (it will be directly serialized to BSON):
    struct MyCollectionEntry {
        string somefield;
        SysTime dateobject; // BsonDate works as well
    }
    auto entry = MyCollectionEntry("somevalue", Clock.currTime());
    mycollection.insert(entry);

See also the "Functions" section of vibe.data.serialization for some attributes that can be used to customize how the data is serialized.

That's pretty cool, I was already organizing most of my data into structs anyway.

Another question: is there any way to get the WriteResult after doing an insertion (or just getting the _id) without doing a call to find() next?

If you use BsonObjectID as the _id, then the best approach is to generate it on the client using BsonObjectID.generate()

That'll do it.

Thanks for your reply,

Juanjo